Miller's traces its history back to 1840, when the area Lutherans met in an old log-style building, which was octagon-shaped. It was a difficult time for Lutherans in the pre-Civil War era, as Lutheranism in the United States had undergone a major schism, involving the Henkel Family of Catawba County, and the creation of a new church body called the Tennessee Synod. Miller's was one of the churches that joined the Tennessee Synod, and remained so until that synod's dissolution in 1920. Miller's eventually became a part of the American Lutheran Church (ALC) until that body merged with the Lutheran Church in America (LCA) and the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches (AELC) in 1987 and formed the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Miller's remained an ELCA congregation until 2011, when we joined the North American Lutheran Church (NALC).